Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Final Prophesy lines 1-6
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Sep 2008 00:10:18 +0100

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:33:57 +0200, David Stifter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 1   Ni acus bith
>  2   nombeo baid
<snip>

>1. The world is not near,
>2. in which I would be foolish (rather doubtful).

<snip>
>Normalised:

>1 Ní acus bith
>2. no·mbéo báeth

   Or could it be:

Ní·accus bith

Ní·accus - negative particle plus possible 1st singular future conjunct form
of 'ad·cí' (see DIL A 41.74)

bith - could be nominative or accusative of 'bith' (world).  DIL B 107.35 gives
another meaning "age, period...is hé in bith dédenach..."

  This could translate:

I will not see a world

or

I will not see a time

  I figured the infixed pronoun in 'no·mbéo' marks it as a relative construction.
Could it refer to time  as in  'I will not see a time when I will be foolish'  ?  Liz

  Liz