Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Die Sage von Cú Roí section 13b
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:24:49 -0700

Neil McLeod wrote:

>> Ferchertne dano fili oca breith do Bláthini, ad·acht cletine eter a
>> dá
>> cích n-dí, conid·apad.  Marbthe som dano fochétoir.

> f-ct-n- dona fil- oce br- doblaitHine adas- cleiti-e 7r ata cicH nti
> @[log in to unmask] MarbHtHa so- ta- ó.c.oi.
>
> The word I print as fil- is printed by Best as 'fi' plus the barred
> 'l' symbol used for Latin uel; but I assume the MS has fil +
> suspension stroke. Each of my other hyphens belongs over the top of
> the preceding letter; @ = reversed c [the symbol for 'con'], H =
> italicised h (= punctum delens), and his '7' extends below the line
> rather than above it.
>
> So, yes, it seems that Thurneysen had something in mind when he
> decided on 'fili'.

What Thurneysen had in his mind was "Ferchertne der Dichter...", as
given in ZCP.  Without the intervening "dano", that would be the clear
choice, even more so since it is then parallel to the naming of the
other avenger in the previous sentence: "Lúach M(ór?) ara Con Roi".
But "dano" poses a big problem.  It would be odd stuck in there
between the name and the epithet in verse, wouldn't it?  In prose, it
intrudes in a way that seems unprecedented to me.

Here's an alternative reading based on the transcription:  "Ferchertne
dona filidib =  Ferchertne of the poets."  Could that work?

Also, a glance at "nti" made me think of the prepositional pronoun
"inte = into her".  Could that be supported in terms of textual
transmission?

Dennis