Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Final Prophesy lines 14-17
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:38:24 +0800

David Stifter wrote:

>> (a) If 'forgnam' is singular, how can the adjective be plural?

> The
> constructio ad sensum of the English type "The police ARE coming" does not
> occur in OIr., to my knowledge.

So we are left with:

(a) gen sg of loch, 'lake' - though I wonder how that fits;

(b) the possibility that there is a rare singular form 'locha' meaning
dark, as in the 'lucht locha' post I referred to before;

(c) an major amendation to something like 'lochtach' - (or, less
severely, to 'lochta', the gen sg of the noun 'locht') - perhaps in the
sense 'delapidated';

(d) an apparently minor amendation to 'loch' - but that spoils the
parallel with 'fása' in the other line of the couplet.

Of these I think I would lean towards (c)!

Neil