Subject: Re: The Celtic/Jew Connection
From: Iseult L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:16:40 +0100

Re: silverhawk's "our Celtic ancestors"...

my guess is that perhaps she was referring to pagans as a whole? i can't
really discern much about her other than she and her followers serving and
worshiping their goddess, nature and the elements, etc.; her great connection
to the wiccan religion, the natural world around her and her myriad books,
politics and activism.

wiccans, please don't be offended; i find there are differences between true
solitary witches and those who belong to the wiccan religion; in other words,
one does not need to be wiccan to truly be a pagan or witch, nor does one
need to be a witch to be a wiccan or a pagan, and many wiccans and pagans
are witches. (whew!)

at any rate, i no longer know much about the lauded silverhawk; it wasn't info
i felt i needed to retain as she sees many things from a totally different
standpoint than i. also, i don't know the heritage she was born into or the
background of her life until she became silverhawk.

she does include this info on her site:

"I also recommend my friend Marcia Falk's Book of Blessings
(HarperSanFrancisco). With great sensitivity and impeccable scholarship,
Marcia has rewritten the Jewish liturgy so that it works for women and for men
who are tired of a masculinist vision of God. Her achievement is far more than
just gender-neutral language -- she really delves into the heart of each
prayer, and succeeds in bringing out new layers of meaning. Also, she's a fine
poet in both English and Hebrew. For Jewish Pagans, this book is a new
classic, the work we've all been waiting for. For non-Jewish Pagans, it's a rich
source of liturgies that can work in many settings -- especially when
ecumenical ritual is called for. For non-Pagan Jews, it's a book that will illumine
the Jewish tradition from a fresh perspective and infuse it with new life."

this author has "...rewritten the Jewish liturgy..."--but this is not the type of
thing i'm looking for. i'm basically looking for--or trying to find--the actual
history, back then, and right there.

i am curious, though, about her use of "...jewish pagans...." polytheism would
negate the jewish belief of "the one true god." catholic pagans? does that
sound possible? i guess like so much else, these are completely debatable.

as well, my own interest in goddeses concern hera, epona, freya, rhiannon
and ceridwen; but that's just me.

i'm sure i've written here much more than anyone wanted to read or know. i
thank you very much for your reply and appreciate your taking the time.

(i haven't spell-checked this, so pls. forgive any typos.)