Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: S'e v S'ann
From: Michael Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:33:49 +0100

>but the rule is wrong, on several counts:
>(i) Pronouns are usually fronted by "Is", not by "'S e".

Well... it's the same verb (is) - just in different guise. And actually you
*can* front a pronoun with 's e, it's just not as common.

>(ii) Adjectives are fronted as often by "Is" as by "S ann",

I always took that as a somewhat archaic construction, most commonly found
in fixed phrases like "'s mr am beud", "'s bochd sin". I don't think native
speakers would regard "'s uaine an cr" as "normal"

>Don't let the rule mislead you into saying "'S ann
>toigh leam cofi" instead of "Is toigh leam cofi"!

Well no, since it's at the start of the sentence already, it cannot be
fronted any further ; ) Besides, toigh/toil is a noun.

>(iii) 'Sann doesn't front verbs, because they would be
>at the front anyway without it:  In a sentence like "'Sann tha i tinn"
>'Sann is not fronting "tha", it is being used to make teh whole
>sentence more emphatic, not just one word of it.

Agreed. Although you can resort to using dan + vn to front a verb for
emphasis:

Bhris e a' chathair
'S e briseadh na cathrach a rinn e

That one always reminds me of the Manx constructions actually...

le meas

Am Mcheal Eile