Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Die Sage von Cú Roí section 6f
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:06:26 +0100

>Birt som feisin ódib inna bú & in coire & in n-ingin.

    Forgive me for posting this quickly, but this text seems to be dragging on
forever.   Hopefully we'll see some good bloody violence soon.

birt – preterite 3rd singular of ‘beirid’ (carries, bears)

som – looks like the 3rd singular and masculine emphasizing particle

feisin -  3rd singular masculine/feminine/neuter of ‘fadéin, féin’ (self).
I used the edil search function to find this word (much faster than looking
through my hard copy of the DIL).

ódib – I wonder if this could be a variant spelling of the preposition ‘ó’ (from)
plus 3rd plural pronoun. I’d expect a usual spelling of ‘uadib’.

inna bú –plural article plus nominative or accusative plural of ‘bó’ (cow)

in coire -  article plus nominative or accusative of ‘coire’ (cauldron)

in n-ingin – article plus accusative singular of ‘ingen’ (daughter, girl).  The
accusative singular article is followed by nasalization.

My translation:

      He himself carried away from them the cows and the cauldron and the
girl.                  Liz