Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Die Sage von Cú Roí section 6f
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:58:31 +0800

David Stifter wrote:

> "bú" is only the acc. pl. The nom. pl. is not attested before the
> Middle Irish period. It's "baí" then, we would it expect to be "boí"
> in Old Irish.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'not attested before the Middle
Irish period'?

The nom. pl. of bó is attested several times in Crith Gablach (c. AD
700). The forms there include:

bae (CIH 778.24), ba (777.26, 777.34), bai (CIH 779.12, 779,29).

Perhaps all of these have been modernised by later scribes, but the rest
language was generally left in Old Irish form.

Thurneysen (p 217) gives the Old Irish nom. pl. as 'baí'. He does state
that it developed from *boí, but he doesn't say that *boí extant in Old
Irish.

Neil