Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Die Sage von Cú Roí section 6f
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:51:07 +0200

Liz Gabay wrote:

> >Birt som feisin ódib inna bú & in coire & in n-ingin.
> ódib – I wonder if this could be a variant spelling of the preposition
> ‘ó’ (from) plus 3rd plural pronoun. I’d expect a usual spelling of
> ‘uadib’.

"úa" and "ó" can vary seemingly unconditionedly in Old Irish. In this
particular case, there is also paradigmatic pressure from the
uninflected preposition "ó".

> inna bú –plural article plus nominative or accusative plural of ‘bó’
> (cow)

"bú" is only the acc. pl. The nom. pl. is not attested before the
Middle Irish period. It's "baí" then, we would it expect to be "boí"
in Old Irish.