Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Die Sage von Cú Roí section 5h
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:03:50 -0700

Patrick Brown wrote:

> Also complicated by the fact that it's in italics, so presumably
> it's not
> entirely clear in the manuscript.

I went back to the introduction to the text in ZCP just now.
Thurneysen apparently cleaned up the spelling of the MS text
enormously.  In some cases, however, he could not make sense of a word
or words, so he simply left them as originally spelled, in italics:
"Solche Wörter, die mir ganz dunkel geblieben sind, gebe ich
unverändert in Kursive."

We now know that Echde met his end.  If asked to lay money, I guess
I'd put it on "éclach = death, extinction" at this point.  Maybe we
should just move on now to the next paragraph (which looks to be a lot
less trouble!).

Dennis