UCD-STAFFORDBEER February 2008

Re: Final Call for Papers for EGOV 2008

Nick Green <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:54:16 -0000

Dear Allenna,

Yes voting is a key thing to get right.  The problem is to be able to stop
any widespread computer fraud of a vote."Vote every day" I used to say. To
enable voting and e-commerce on Compunet we buried an encrypted  unique ID
steganographically, in a reserved 256 byte piece of eprom in a dongle. This
checked identity and stopped unauthorized copying of copyright software. We
had no security violations in our ten years of operation.

Authentication is the key thing and perfect authenticatuion might require a
DNA profile of each voter as they vote or make a purchase. This is hard to
do without subversion. So an encrypted, uncopyable, token that could be
related to DNA might be indicated and constructable. Certainly I'm not ready
to give a paper yet!- but lots of evolving strategies can be produced.

There's been a tremendous carve up into sectors of the egov community
(e-voting is not one of their topics currently) one of us, at least, should
tell them about the VSM and the cybernetics of government, Cybersyn, or Real
Time Study Group work. I seem to recall enquiring around 2002 to a UK egov
group or so but because I wasn't at a university or in government they
weren't interested. The idea that more detailed performance data of
government could lead to participatory development, control of risk etc
seems a long way away.

One UK initiative was to set up a Portal where all UK Govt Business could be
conducted. One indicator of success was to be telling them of your change of
address and this seamlessly promulgating to all departments who had your
name and address: Tax, DVLC (driving), National Insurance, Local Authority,
TV Licence etc- in your dreams. The only way forward, to me at the moment,
is for us to own our own records and control their visibility to Govt Depts.
They have shown themselves to be so grossly incompetent (in UK anyway-
loosing 25 million details including bank accounts of people with children
and hundreds of Government laptops going missing every year) I doubt people
will allow anything else e.g. in Health. Latest blow was 80% of Doctors
(according to BMA) would opt out of putting their health records on
"Connecting for Health"- too frightened of revenge from fellow health
workers, some would say.

I'd like to hear what Prof Ross Anderson (Standard work on "Security
Engineering" at Cambridge) has to say about all this.

As I write this I have just heard that Steven Spielberg has pulled out of
the Chinese Olympics because of their support for Sudan and its genocide in
Darfur. We need an egov that prevents genocide. Presidents and government
must be held to higher standards than their people as a coming requirement
for UN membership, perhaps. e-money will be a great help there. Paper
currency has to and will go one day. Indeed, cheap co-operative e-cash might
be another way for World Govt to get established. Better authentication of
identity remains to be done is one of they keys. I seem to recall, Allenna,
we talked about a scheme of revocable database encryption keys held at the
International Court in the Hague as one possible safeguards. There are
likely others we should consider.

US is working on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Authentication

Best
Nick