UCD-STAFFORDBEER February 2008

Re: What organizations use VSM?

Luc Hoebeke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:27:48 +0100

Dear Stuart,

Early I abused the VSM to "structure" organizations. Since then I
learned how flawed the idea of "structuring" organizations is. The
only what one can structure are ones own ideas and concepts of
reality to deal with it. Organizational structures are linguistic
artifacts which may or may not help this process.
Indeed, the VSM is also a linguistic feature. In my experience much
more relevant than other managerial and organizational languages.
Because it is a marvellous diagnostic tool, as you rightly point out,
to make sense of how collective work is done (system in focus) in
what context it is done (metasystem and environments) and which are
the essential recursive parts to take into account (systems 1) and
this as a systemic invariant independently of the kind of
"disciplinary" nature of the collective effort: for profit or not for
profit, govenmental agencies or voluntary efforts, loosely coupled
associations or well knit together teams, etc. Together with the
people involved in those activities, the VSM language always has
helped us to discover how to deal with undecidabilities, coming from
the use of other organizational languages, surely the "structural" ones.

I made use of it as manager and as consultant, as director of the
board in the non profit sector, in the organization of alumni events,
as well as in production units.

I follow with much attention the way Ralf Eckhard Türke is working
with the VSM as language. He is the first one who in a rigorous way
has combined the secong order cybernetics with social
constructiionism and the VSM. His PhD on eGoverrnance(PhD presented
in 2007 at the University of Sankt Gallen, Switzerland) will be
published soon. But the way he puts this combination in practice is
very promising for the VSM as an intervention language tool in human
systems.

Kind regards,

Luc

Op 4-feb-08, om 19:43 heeft Stuart Umpleby het volgende geschreven: