UCD-STAFFORDBEER February 2008

Re: Flight software testing

allenna leonard <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:16:56 -0800

Dear All,

I've been away and am trying to pick up on some of the
different threads.

Here are two prosaic observations.

First, safety system address everything from
deterministic (including but not limited to
mechanical) through probabalistic to complex or
chaotic.

At the complexity end, redundancy helps but isn't
enough.  I want to mention the seven models of risk
from the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
publication "Learning about RIsk: choices, connections
and competencies" by William Bradshaw and Alan Willis.
They are framed as choices:

Leadership choices,
Operational and control choices
Strategic choices
Crisis choices
Resilince and survival choices
Intuition
Decision to be aware.

Most of these are in the area of soft power (as is
Gavin de Becker's "THe GIft of Fear"). They have to be
endorsed at the very top of the organization and
spread throughout, and the reward system in place has
to support them.

I'd echo what Javier said about asking everyone to
ascertain not just the facts, but the assumptions and
attitudes around them.  Some in the audit field refer
to this as 'self-assessment', and include from 50% to
100% of the employees.  Syntegration and other group
processes help here too.

A final plug for the whistleblower, the messenger with
bad news and the investigator with the 'auditor's
nose'.  Until these people are valued, a greater
element of risk will exist than would otherwise be the
case.

THinking about the financial sector, you don't really
need a background in finance to know that a big load
of subprime mortgages is inherently unstable or that
if the results are 'too good to be true', they
probably aren't.

Best,
Allenna

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs