UCD-STAFFORDBEER February 2008

Re: What organizations use VSM?

Nick Green <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:50:45 -0000

Dear Stuart

Yes Stafford's "Diagnosing the system" reflects the diagnostic tool aspect
and, of course VSM maps easily into any organisational hierarchy but
emphasises the development role for every participant ("Do I do what I
always do in this case, or do I innovate?" as the central question for every
manager and process worker). One can use VSM synthetically,  identify the
major aspects of VSM information flow and emphasise these in software rather
than the muddling through of current commercial ERP etc. Most here will have
case studies to report. My biggest project was an analysis of the UK Public
Service software requirement which led to NPfIT and its application to
Health which reflects aspects of VSM. There's a diagram
http://www.cybsoc.org/npfit.htm
I am still slightly uneasy about identifying Health Service Id, Ego and
Superego- but this presentation was to, I hope sympathetic, colleagues in
cybernetics!

The principle that citizens own their records has still to be established in
UK.

There's more at a prototype (never released) website for the Real Time Study
Group
http://www.nickgreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/RTSG.htm
 who are currently considering an Open Software approach to VSM
http://www.cybsys.co.uk/

See also Criticism in Wiki United Kingdom budget
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_budget#Criticism

There has been some informal discussion of VSM as web 3.0, but and its a big
but, it must be associated with a simplification of PC, mobile phone etc
user interface design- in my view. Booting quickly straight into a personal
VSM web browser would likely be the approach. Easy to use efficient
development tools would be another must for web 3.0. There have even been
discussions, recently revived, of VSM as digital processor with a CNOT or
programmable NOT gate as system one. We need help!

Best
N.