Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Looking for techniques to perform surface sterilization and determining surface area
From: Dennis Bonal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:59:40 +0000

My name is Dennis Bonal and I am currently a graduate student at C.W. Post
of Long Island University.
I am in the process of doing an experiment with various types of macroalgae.
I am using a few filamentous species and I am looking to see if there are any
suggestions to performing surface sterilization.  Such as if I should use dilute
bleach.  I know this method has been done with larger algal species but I was
not sure about filamentous species.
The other question is I am currently using a dye method to determine the
surface area of my algal species. This method, described by Hanna Stewart
and Robert Carpenter in 2003, did not use very fine, filamentous species.  I am
looking for another way to determine surface area or if anyone knows a
method that is accurate with looking at filamentous species.
The species I am currently looking at are Dasya baillouviana, Spyridia
filamentosa, and various species of Polysiphonia.  Any information would be
gladly appreciated.

Dennis Bonal

Stewart, H. L., & Carpenter R. C. 2003. The effects of morphology and water
flow on photosynthesis of marine macroalgae. Ecology. 84(11): 2999-3012.