Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Pyrocystis fusiformis
From: Douglas Jost <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 9 Feb 2008 21:00:27 +0000

Hello everyone,

I recently joined the list serve to learn more about the affect of nutrition
on the health and growth of micro algae and formation of algal blooms.  For
fun I have decided to grow Pyrocystis fusiformis.

I would like to know if anyone is familiar with growing this species and to
know what  media and conditions that are commonly used for high growth rates.

Currently I have a 150 mL culture in Gulliard's f/2 media.  Does anyone know
if biotin, thiamine, and vitamin B12 are absolutely necessary for this
species to survive?

From what I have read vitamin B12 may be a necessary additive that is made
by bacteria.  If vitamin B12 is necessary, does anyone know which bacteria
would be ideal for producing a vitamin B12 containing product for use as
supplementation?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Douglas Jost