Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: My Surname

Alec McAllister <[log in to unmask]>

Scottish Gaelic Language beginners forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:56:25 -0000

It does, actually, but not be default. It just happens that I've just spent the last couple of days testing this.

You can insert accents (and IPA, Chinese, Arabic and lots of other goodies) if you click Webmail's "Switch to HTML composition" option, and also set the Charset to "UTF-8".

You might also have to fiddle around with the View ... Encoding ... options of your browser, depending on how you have set the defaults.

Bizarrely, if all else fails, you can get perfectly good multilingual Unicode text, including Gaelic, by using the GB 18030 encoding ... which was designed for Chinese!

N.B. Different browsers present Webmail differently. For example, I'm currently trying to find out why the "Switch to HTML composition" option appears by default in IE7, but not in Opera, Firefox2, Avant, Flock, Maxthon2 or the beta-test Windows version of Safari. It's probably a matter of ferreting about deep in the list of options. There goes my afternoon ... :-(

Alec McAllister
Multilingual Computing Co-ordinator
University of Leeds