Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: The e gle easgaidh gu daoine a chuideachadh.

Michael Bauer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:08:54 -0000

>Not self-defeatist, just realistic. I read somewhere that an adult
>trying to
>learn another language can become fluent, but he/she will never lose that
>trace of accent that identifies him/her as a foreigner. If you start as a
>child it's a different story, but I don't think too many of us fit that
>category.

True but the point about those studies is that they look at adult learners
without formal training. With formal training you can do amazing things,
just think of all those opera singers who can sing in German and Italian and
generally sound like natives.

You may never fully lose your accent but everyone can reach a stage where
their pronunciation isn't an hinderance to communication anymore.

Tata

AME