Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: The e glè èasgaidh gu d aoine a ch uideachadh.

Steaphan MacRisnidh <[log in to unmask]>

Scottish Gaelic Language beginners forum <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:53:14 +0000

Immersion works with everyone, not just children. It's
also the best way, bar none. Doesn't mean we need to
neglect other work, such as reading, and memorising,
and grammar.

It's they way that the majority of the world's
population have learnt any language at any given time.

I think you guys need a separate forum to discuss some
of this stuff. Like the Gaelic linguists forum.

I'm not knocking the linguistics at all, and if I was
not getting a sound, and a linguist was able to
explain to me, in a way I understood, how to pronounce
a word, and then, hey presto, I got the pronunciation
of that word right, then fine, brilliant. However, as
for this discussion, unless people are familiar with
the terminology it's not going to help them say
"Uibhist" the way the Uist people say it.

--- Michael Bauer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >Those of you who are fluent should spend your time
> to provide constructive
> >ways for these students and enthusiasts to advance,
> in my opinion.
>
> I'm working on it, give me some time ; )
>
> >Listen and repeat does work, because "listen and
> >repeat" is exactly the same as "immersion", and who
> >says that immersion doesn't work?
>
> I'm tempted to cite Homer Simpson ; )
>
> Immersion works with children, we all know that. It
> works to about the age
> of 10. From the age of 10 onwards, whatever the
> mechanism is that enables
> children to learn native languages, disappears and
> is gone by the time we
> leave the spots of puberty behind. That's a
> scientific fact. Adult
> learners haven't been struggling with verb tables
> and dictionaries for
> decades because they're all masochists but because
> as adults immersion DOES
> NOT WORK. Not the same way as in children. Of
> course you'll pick up some
> things but immersion for adults is NOT a guarantee
> for good vocabulary,
> grammar or pronunciation. Whatever Fionnlagh
> MacLeid has been telling you
> sounds nice, but is as scientifically sound as the
> Japanese whaling
> programme.
>
> That does NOT mean that lots of exposure is
> pointless, on the contrary and
> there is way too much emphaisis on reading and
> writing in your average
> Gaelic class. But immersion on its own doesn't work
> either.
>
> Think of it this way: if you stand the latest gadget
> with 100 buttons and a
> 5000 page manual in Korean in any 5 year old's
> bedroom, they will sit on the
> manual and know exactly what all the buttons do
> before tomorrow morning,
> half of which won't even be in the manual. Stand
> the same gadget in the
> bedroom of a 1000 adults and maybe 5 will
> intuitively know how to handle it,
> some will eventually get their but most will be at a
> loss until someone
> explains and a good handful will sell it on eBay
> without ever having tried.
>
> Don't nail me down on the numbers of my example,
> they're just illustrative.
>
> Am Mcheal Eile

Am fear a loisgeas a mhs, `s e fhin a dh`fheumas suidh` air.

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/