Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: The e glè èasgai dh gu daoin e a c huideachadh.
From: Alexander Justice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:48:04 -0800

Would it were that easy, Steaphan (and I loved the article on wasps, by the way).

But I have been doing that for five years (using Litir do Luchd-ionnsachaidh, TYG, Cothrom Ionnsachaidh, and hours and hours of Radio nan Gaidheal among other things like audio CDs) and not getting "cuir" right until some kind soul told me exactly where my tongue was supposed to go. I even at one point had a native speaker from Donegal to practice conversation with (he learned Scots G from Mark Wringe). So it's not really so simple. Why is that R. Black, in Cothrom Ionnsachaidh, cannot even explain how to form slender R? And how far I got in four years is on record for all to see, since someone uploaded Cuairt nam Blog to Google videos. So judge for yourselves how well that works with someone who does well in university language classes (I've studied four languages at university level, though I actually read history, which is what my degree is in).

If a sound does not occur in your native language, and you are thousands of miles from the Gaidhealtachd and can't afford to go there, audio and even video just isn't enough for mastery (keep in mind that the whole point of the discussion originally was about  "going beyond advanced intermediate").

I have to say I was very surprised that SMO's An Cursa Inntrigidh spends no time at all on forming the sounds. I understand the desire to get people *functioning* in Gaelic as quickly as possible. Especially if they had, as must often be the case, Gaelic parents or grandparents and had or have exposure to the phonetics. But An Cursa Inntrigidh is specifically a distance course, and half the students by my guess are outwith Alba. And they are at every different levels.