Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Chara from tropical-subtropical waters

Ligia Collado-Vides <[log in to unmask]>

Ligia Collado-Vides <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:33:51 -0500

Dear colleagues

I am a marine phycologist dealing with Chara specimens, and of course no very good idea where to look for recent references.

I have large patches of Chara growing in brackish waters at Biscayne Bay, Florida USA, and I do not know which can be good a key to ID them.

I found the Allan 1894 paper in which he (she) describes Chara carmenensis Allan. My specimens look very similar but I do not know if this is still a valid name.

Could anybody direct me towards a good key of Chara for the Subtropical Atlantic Chara-Nitella species?

Thank you and have a great week end

Ligia

Ligia Collado-Vides
Florida International University