Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Crith Gablach
From: Iestyn Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:09:21 +0100

Re: O'Curry version....

'house of a Bo-AirS (or Cow-chief). To disfigure its
 south door-post, a sheep is paid for it ; a lamb for its north doorpost
 : why is the south side more noble ? Answer. Because
 it is it that is in the view of the good man [of the house], who
 always sits in the north end (or part) of the house: because
 that is the part in which the good man always sits'.

Vs

"a yearling bull calf for a lower stave, a two-year-old heifer for an
upper stave, a three-year-old dry heifer for the lower wattle, a
two-year-old heifer for the upper wattle, a yearling heifer for the
eastern doorpost of a house, a yearling bull calf for the western
doorpost of a house."

Thanks very much for that Dennis.  I'm at a bit of a loss here. It's
important for my research to track down where O'Curry got that version of
the CG excerpt.

Seem like different values and cardinal points entirely from his version!
Any ideas about tracking down different versions of CG?

Iestyn