Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Crith Gablach
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:20:52 -0700

Iestyn Jones wrote:

> 'The house of a Bo-AirS (or Cow-chief). To disfigure its
> south door-post, a sheep is paid for it ; a lamb for its north doorpost
> : why is the south side more noble ? Answer. Because
> it is it that is in the view of the good man [of the house], who
> always sits in the north end (or part) of the house: because
> that is the part in which the good man always sits'.
>
> Is that in §17 or §18?

Neither.  Damage to a house is covered in §16.  The above is not a
translation of that text, however.  Paragraph 16 specifies fines for
damage to parts of a house as follows:

"a yearling bull calf for a lower stave, a two-year-old heifer for an
upper stave, a three-year-old dry heifer for the lower wattle, a
two-year-old heifer for the upper wattle, a yearling heifer for the
eastern doorpost of a house, a yearling bull calf for the western
doorpost of a house."

I'm not absolutely sure that the translations I've given to "flesc" and
"clíath" (acc. "cléith") are accurate.  There are three words that
share a resemblance that are all used in building terminology: cleth,
cléithe, clíath.  Check iDIL on line for the details.  And I hope I got
the animals right!

Dennis