Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: seeming mistakes
From: Massimo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Aug 2007 18:38:28 +0100

Last week I was in An t-Ob, on the island of Harris (Na Hearradh, na h-
Eileanan Siar, Alba) . I am almost sure to have read this sign entering the
village: Filte gun t-Ob. In my very humble opinion it should be "Filte gun
Ob", since Ob is in dative case. Any explanation about that?
Just to keep on with apparent mistakes I noticed on British Meteo Office web
site "Highlands and Eilean Siar". I think that Eilean can be nominative singular
or genitive plural in traditional declination (as in Comhairle nan Eilean). Since
there is no genitive in that sentence I would translate "Highland and western
island", but I ever read "western Islands" (plural). Is it possible that
governative web site got wrong?

Le meas

Massimo