Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Wirtshausreime
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:03:09 -0700

While the final rann remains as much as puzzle as the previous
two, I have had few more thoughts about it.

irni dar cill ertha tuir,
tabair a rir, a lich lir,
adledh do lmh tech na muc
n da rd dn rut, a fhir.

I wrote:

>>> irni dar cill ertha tuir,
>
> rnid (< asren) = pays, dispenses, bestows
> ernaid = bestows, grants
>
> "you grant beyond reason"

If, however, we read "dar" as the contraction of "do + ar =
to/for our", we would have "you bestow on our reason/mind"
(cf. "ernid etaige do bochtu" = he bestows clothes on the
poor).  We can further take the verb "rnid" in its second
meaning "unriddles, solves, explains, makes clear", we get:

"You make clear to our mind..."

The next two words, "ertha tuir" are still opaque to me,
although the syntax suggest that they *could* be a noun phrase,
perhaps a plural noun followed by an adjective or another
noun in the genitive.  "Tir" could possibly be the genitive
of "tr = seeking, searching, investigating".

For "ertha" I'm pretty much flailing around, as far afield as:

ertha = rtha = ertha = past part. or gen. of vn. ???

For the next line, "tabair a rir, a lich lir", Neil suggested:

> Give its tribute, o warrior of a host,

Since "tabair" can mean either "give" or "take" depending on
the context, I would suggest that "take its reward (for making
something clear)" might fit better here.

Dennis