Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Cha III and Skype
From: Tom Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Jul 2007 01:50:38 +0100

Sgriobh Steaphan MacRisnidh

> Out of interest, who were the persons involved?

The 2005 document names some people, a subset of the people who produced it
(the 2005 report) and you can see that at
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Gaelic%20Orthographic%20Conventions.pdf.

The subcommittee formed in 1976 (which in 1981 produced the report which is
always called, for reasons beyond the comprehension of us ordinary mortals,
the 1982 report) were a different bunch from the gang that produced the 2005
report.  I'm sure the membership of the original gang is on record
somewhere - you can try finding it with Google.  I'm not going to name the
few I can remember - it's not fair as I can't name all the members.

The worst effects of the original (1981) report were not directly caused by
the members of the subcommittee - let's all be quite clear that those poor
innocents were not responsible for the actions taken by varios bureaucratic
bodies in response to their report.  The idea that no book could be used in
schools unless it conformed strictly to the "new standard" did not come from
the education board's subcommittee, it was promulgated by civil servants who
saw an opportunity to extend the control exercised by their empires and by
various businesmen who thought that adopting a policy of allowing printing
only in a new prescribed form would improve the sales of their products
(since it would of course disqualify all existing books from the market).
Some of us felt particularly betrayed by Gairm (and by Derek Thomson) whose
influence was enormous - we felt much more betrayed by people like that, who
had real influence, than by the SEB's (sub)committee of comparatively
influenceless and unknown incompetents.

An dara Micheal