Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Irish music in Irish/Anglo-Irish literature
From: Tom Wilsbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:14:35 -0400

I wonder whether the Connaught Rangers survive as a regiment, what
with Irish independence and other changes in the British Army down
through the years.  Regiments with longstanding traditions sometimes
have regimental headquarters with museums.......

Ah, forget that; a quick check of Wikipedia, if it is to be believed,
shows that the Connaught Rangers were disbanded in 1922 by the terms
of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

Anyway, regimental museums (or the British War Museum?)  could have
evidence of this music: bandbooks, other accounts, pay records.  I
don't know whether  ca. 1812 bands were fife-and-drum ensembles, or
brass, or warpipes?  But they would be different from the performance
practice of Irish traditional musicians at that time or this.

And intriguing line of investigation though.

Best Wishes,

Tom Wilsbach