Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Re: Bidh sin math air latha brèagha mar seo.

Michael Bauer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:04:28 -0000

>What is the correct pronounciation of latha, please? Am I
>right in thinking
>that both “la-ha” with the stress on the first A and “lar”
>(i.e. with a long
>A) are correct?

The th in latha marks hiatus, a break between two vowels (like in co-operate
in English), so you have dark L, a pause a:
[La.a]

>Incidentally, am I correct in beginning this letter with “A chàirdean”?

Yes

>All the best,
>
>Simon
>
>PS Just out of curiosity, how do Scots pronounce the word
>“Mod” when they're
>speaking English? I'm referring to what is known in Gaelic as “Am Ṃd
>Nàiseanta Ŕoghail”.

Pretty much the same way as you'd say it in Gaelic but generally not with a
dental d but a Scots/English voiced d

Am Ḿcheal Eile