Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Live and dead algae
From: Gary Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:36:18 -0000

Dear all,

In your opinion, what do you think would be the best approach to
determine live from dead microalgae in a sample (containing several
species) that has been exposed to a chemical agent? I was thinking along
the lines of some sort of vital stain? Is this the best way? Can you
direct me to any specific protocols/studies that have done this? Are
there alternative routes that I have not considered (must be done on a
minimal budget).

Also, is there a protocol that uses a standard spectrophotometer to look
at live/dead algae?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Best wishes,

Gary

----------------
Dr Gary Caldwell
Lecturer in Marine Biology
School of Marine Science and Technology
Newcastle University
Ridley Building, Rm 354
Claremont Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
Tel: +44(0)1912226660/5325
Fax: +44(0)1912227891

2007 Meeting of the International Society of Invertebrate Reproduction
and Development
Symposium on Reproductive Toxicology of Invertebrates
http://striweb.si.edu/icird/