Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Live and dead algae
From: Gary Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:36:18 -0000

Dear all,

In your opinion, what do you think would be the best approach to
determine live from dead microalgae in a sample (containing several
species) that has been exposed to a chemical agent? I was thinking along
the lines of some sort of vital stain? Is this the best way? Can you
direct me to any specific protocols/studies that have done this? Are
there alternative routes that I have not considered (must be done on a
minimal budget).

Also, is there a protocol that uses a standard spectrophotometer to look
at live/dead algae?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dr Gary Caldwell
Lecturer in Marine Biology
School of Marine Science and Technology
Newcastle University
Ridley Building, Rm 354
Claremont Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tel: +44(0)1912226660/5325
Fax: +44(0)1912227891

2007 Meeting of the International Society of Invertebrate Reproduction
and Development
Symposium on Reproductive Toxicology of Invertebrates