UCD-STAFFORDBEER March 2007

Miicrobial Cybernetics

Nick Green <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:39:43 -0000

Count me a supporter of a virtual component in a syntegration. I look
forward to further responses.

"Later in the bar" global warming inevitably came into concerned focus.
Lovelock's "Revenge of Gia" is in part predicated on a failure of plankton
to fix carbon because of increasing water temperature.

We acknowledge the viability of the host planet (and us!) owes everything to
microbial synergy- but why? As a student I was told to expect about 1
bacterium per milliltre of water. Estimates of bacteria are now about 1
million times that with viruses ten times bacteria. Surprisingly very little
is still known (surely a field ripe for systems/cybernetic investigation
with better instrumentation) but members will find "Microbiology - the story
of the invisible masters of the universe" from BBC Radio 4 helpful (Melvin
Bragg's excellent "In Our Time" series).

"Microbes are enormously social...quorum sensing...subverting in many ways
our whole conception of biology...exchange DNA among themselves in a
remarkably promiscuous way"-Prof John Dupré, ESRC Centre for Genomics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime.shtml

Incidentally http://peoplesarchive.com/ continues to fascinate with its
audio or video transcribed in depth interviews of some 34 leading scientists
and intellectuals.  They are seeking suggestions for new interviewees.

Fascinating conference, still digesting it. Thanks to Vidya Rajaram we
managed to video everybody (except Javier Livas- the camera driver went
down). The sound track is awful- we needed microphones for speakers- but we
have an iPod audio recording so we'll see what we can do.  We'll try to get
some on the website. This was an experiment- we'll do better next time- Will
advise.

Best
N.