UCD-STAFFORDBEER March 2007

Re: knowledge art or interactive art?

Luc Hoebeke <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:53 +0100

Dear Vanilla,

  Your question Is it like that in science? surprises me. It was in
fact the writings of your father which brought me back to science
after I got tired of what mostly was said to be science. He
introduced for me the concept of the Art of Science. Indeed, science
is one of the arts for me. The tools are rigorous thinking and logic:
this leads to some elegant creations as the set-theoretic approach to
the VSM and the VSM itself. The products of this rigour and logic are
what are named models (theories and laws are nothing else than
models) for interacting with the abundant material of reality.
Another exemplar of the art of science, which are more known as
artists, are Christo and Jeanne-Claude. They master also the
political process. Because as creative human activities the art of
politics is also an art. For me, all activity which takes the risk to
confront ones "dream" or desire with "reality" and explore the
boundaries of its own tools and dreams can be labeled art. I learned
also from Joseph Beuys this extended meaning of art. Also he was a
scientific artist, knowledgeable of all kind of physico-chemical
processes, with which he was experimenting.

Kind regards,

Luc

Op 20-mrt-07, om 10:13 heeft Vanilla Beer het volgende geschreven: