colorless filaments

Mark VanderBorgh <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:27:09 -0500

Thank you all for the great responses to my posting on the unusual
filamentous algae die off. The most plausible suggestion was from
Charles J. O'Kelly that it is not dead algae but Saprochaete, a
colorless filamentous oomycetes or water mold. A search on Saprochaete
links it with activated sludge. The sample came from an investigation
into a claim that a large sawdust pile (image attached) was degrading
the water quality of a small creek that runs through a pasture. The soil
around the pile and adjacent to the stream resembled a peat bog.
Unfortunately i do not have any of the sample left to run it through
more analyses but I am asking the field staff that investigated the
sawdust pile to revisit the site and see if it is still there.
Thanks again
mark

--
Mark Vander Borgh