Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Sith co nem 5
From: Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:11:48 +0900

Dennis wrote:

>A lenited 's' is pronounced /h/, not nothing (that's lenited 'f').

Yes, quite so.

>And Murphy, quoting Eleanor Knott, writes that "lenited 's' alliterates
>[only] with another with another lenited 's'."

That is true for alliteration within metrical stanzas, but not for
binding alliteration in roscad (nor for fidrad freccomail - the link
between stanzas). See Murphy page 38 (final paragraph) - 39 (top
paragraph).

But I do agree that it is best to treat the linking alliteration  as
breaking down at this point. (Or perhaps seeing the FINAL -s of áss as
being sufficient in this case.)

Neil