Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: aelteste irische Dichtung II
From: Christopher Gwinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:38:10 -0500

>The fact that Sanb is attested as a proper name might at least
>indicate that "sanb" in the rosc is not a corrupt form.  There
>aren't a lot of words ending in -nb in OI: only "ainb" and "banb"
>show up in the on-line glossary.  Maybe one of the IE-ists could
>reconstruct an earlier form of "sanb" that might in turn suggest
>an etymology?

I don't know the answer to this, but if I might speculate, banb is supposed
to come from Proto-Celtic *banwo-, but I have seen ainb explained as coming
from PC *an-wid-s, so I suppose that sanb might come from either *sanwo- or
*san-wid-s.

It might be related to OIr sain "different, particular" (and OW han "alium")
and sanas "secret" (OW hanes "narration"), which are supposedly from PIE
*seni-, senu-, (seni-) "for oneself, separate".

Another possible root is PIE *sen-, *sene-, *sen(e)u-, sen@- "to prepare,
work on, succeed".

- Chris Gwinn

Live.com page.