Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Sith co nem 9 and overview
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:06:36 -0800

Neil wrote:

> VI
> 20 sâith do mac		Sufficiency for a son
> 21 mac for muin		a (new) son on a shoulder,
> 22 muinêl tairb		the neck of a bull
> 23 tarb di arccoin	a bull for slaughtering (orcuin).\

That's an added interpretation of line 21, isn't it, with the
implied "new"?  It reminds me of a verse from a suantraí --
but a not an old one.  This one was written late in the last
century by Aodh Ó Domhnaill of Rann na Feirste.

Gabháil siar Baile an Mhuilinn domh
B'anásta m'ualach:
Beirt ar mo mhuin
Agus triúr ar mo ghualainn.