Help for UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Archives

UCD-STAFFORDBEER@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

UCD-STAFFORDBEER Home

UCD-STAFFORDBEER  December 2006

UCD-STAFFORDBEER December 2006

Re: [SPAM] Application of Stafford's ideas

Douglas McDavid <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Dec 2006 01:47:43 -0800

This is a very interesting discussion, and my name has been mentioned (Hi
Leonid!), so I thought I'd better say a few words before it gets cold.

I agree with Javier that we need simplicity, and a compelling meme that can
take off through the management world like a virus.  The most accessible
treatment of the VSM that I know is Barry Clemson's work, but his book is
hard to find, and VERY expensive, so that is not a very good memetic
vehicle.

At the same time, I find that I can give the VSM basics in about 5 minutes,
with a white board or a piece of paper, and have done this many times with
colleagues over the years.

Today, the most compelling medium I know is the virtual world called Second
Life (www.secondlife.com).  This has gotten a lot of press lately, and IBM
has been well publicized for our CEO's announcement of a significant
investment in what we sometimes call the 3D Internet.  I was working on a
project in IBM Research called the Rehearsal Studio, and personally
investigated Second Life as a collaboration platform.  I was skeptical,
since I have never had the time or inclination to get involved in
computer-based games.  I was astonished to discover how engaging and
compelling this environment is for all kinds of communications, meetings,
and representations of information in 3-dimensional objects that can
provide information and behavior.

I have mentioned this to a few people that I know through ISSS, and I hope
to reach out further in that community.  I would suggest that some people
from the Beer community might want to come into that world and take a look.
I can show you around, and we can discuss how to bring the VSM to life in
this 3D world.  It is free to enter and participate, and very cheap, nearly
free, to establish a virtual presence there for a group of interested
people (represented by their avatars).

Interesting?

Doug McDavid