Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: A poem
From: Elliott Lash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:14:58 -0800

Another strange copular usage is found in Eriu 25
(1974), Varia 1, by Eric Hamp:

This is Serglige Con Culainn: 19
   Nitan-bi nach n-uall
   'We will have any apple' (I think....)

....it occurs to me that this may be somehow connected
to the usage we've been talking about up to now, in
the sense that it is presumably possessive with the
copular verb.

-Elliott

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com