Re: B ETB 545-547

Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:57:38 +0000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:39:30 -0800, Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> Esnad tige Buchet dona dámaib (.i. a gen gáre ass frisna
>> dáma): Fo-chen dúib, bid maith dúib linni, bud maith dano
>> dún-ni lib-si.
>
>The "esnad" of the house of Buchet to the companies [of
>poets] (that is, his [cheerful] laughter, from him to
>the companies): Welcome to you all! We will treat you
>well, [so] you should treat us well.

Thanks, Dennis,

 Here are Greene’s notes:

“esnad ‘song’”
“dám ‘company’... dative plural dámaib”
“gen ‘smile, laughter’”
“gáire ‘laugh, laughing’ genitive singular line 545”
“fri preposition with accusative ‘towards, against’...with
article...plural frisna”
“cen in mo chen, fo chen ‘welcome’”

My notes:
     I wrote this in the introduction to the story:
“DIL translates 'esnad' as "a musical sound, a roaring or droning, used
of the moaning or roaring of wind, the singing of certain birds, and a
 certain kind of human singing (humming?)".”

‘bid’ looks like future 3rd singular of the copula, and ‘bud’ looks like a
variant of the imperative 3rd singular form.

Here’s a more literal translation of: ‘bid maith dúib linni, bud maith
dano dún-ni lib-si’ –
‘it will be good for you with us, then let it be good for us with you.’

     So, if I understand the story correctly, after getting the bride
payment for Cathaír Mór’s daughter Eithni from Cormac, Buchet was wealthy
again and returned to his former generous ways.

     I wonder if Eithni’s 32 brothers went on to torment and impoverish
Cormac then.

Comments and corrections appreciated. Liz Gabay