Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: another curious old saying ??
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:12:07 -0800

In DIL s.v. "dochell" we find:

"ardibdaba dochell blátha : inhospitality will destroy flowers"

quoted from RC xxvi 38 § 198

Aarghh.  I promised Clodagh another seanfhocal, but following up
the above citation I've *just* discovered that this is a line from
I2T aka "The Colloquy of the Two Sages", which we hacked at a number
of years ago.  The line may, just maybe, have a proverbial use or
origin, but in context it's just one of Fercertne's long litany
of pessimistic pronouncements about the days to come.

But I guess it *does* do a nice job of encapsulating the old belief
that human behaviour (the king's actions in particular) influenced
the fruitfulness of the earth.  The gloss for this identifies the
"flowers" as "mess 7 torud".

Now, to make sense of the verb.

Dennis