Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: a general specific question
From: Sean O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:18:00 -0500

From: "Sean O'Connor"

"I am not aware of any Irish butterflies so

small that they could pass un-noticed on the rim of a drinking vessel."

Me neither, but those midges [No See Ums] could hide on the rim of a glass

and they really bite.

Janet

Absolutely, but then we are faced with the size of the 'cuil'.  The Modern
Irish for 'midge' is ‘míoltóg’.  In one of the Aislings there is a mention
of a míoltóg drinking ‘Eas Aoidh Rua’, but I cannot remember which poem it
is.  Any chance that the word appears earlier than the 18th century?

Seán