Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: A poem
From:Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:54:31 +0000

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> What do you think then of the second line in this
>> stanza (#25) from my current poem-of-interest?
>> Am cumthach dia éis.
>> Nidam tualgne duis.
>> Am aneoil dia eis.
>> Is todiúir mo gnúis.

Elliott scríbas:
>I am mournful about it
>I do not have capability of a tree
>I am unknowledgeable about it
>My face is _________

 Hi Dennis and Elliott,
       I wondered if 'duis' should have a fada, to make it rhyme
with 'gnúis'; then maybe it could be a variant genitive singular of 'tús'
(beginning).    The second line would translate:
'I am not capable of a start' or 'I am unable to begin.'
   When I looked around in DIL, I found the line quoted in the entry
for 'dúis' ("something valuable or precious, treasure") at D 444.1 and
translated as "I am incapable of (joy in) treasure (?)"

 Could 'dia éis/dia eis' translate "after it" or "without it"?

  DIL lists 'todiúir' as a variant of 'taidiúir' ("tearful, sad, mournful,
   'aneoil' looks strange to me.  Maybe it is a variant of 'anéolach' as
Elliott seems to suggest.
  So maybe:

I am sad without it
I am incapable (of joy) in treasure