Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Champion
From: Charles Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:00:05 -0500

Another word to consider has already been mentioned, 'anrad' - "poet of
the 2nd order; noble next in rank to the king; hero, champion"

It is used of Cuchullain in the 'Comrac Fir Dead' portion of Ernst
Windisch's TBC where the two heros are called:

'Na da niad, na da anruith, da eirrgi iarthair Eorpa, da anchaindil
gascid Gaedel, da laím thidnaicthi ratha & tairberta & tuarastail
iarthair thuascirt in domain, da eochair gascid Gaedel'

Back in August of 2002 when we were doing Immacallam 69, as part of
Neide's monologue there was the line:

§ 123  For cend ngai  "On the head of a spear"

.i. i commaid ríg ar 's e is chend isin táth. nó claidib .i. techta
n-anruda.

* That means in the company of a king, because he is the head in joining
(recte: battle); or of a sword, that which is proper of a champion.

I don't pretend to understand the Immacallam but the immediately
preceding portion: § 122 For folt feda   "On the hair of a wood", had to
do with ogam letters and possibly with the types of metres used by
different grades of poets.  I wonder if 'for cend ngai' is a cryptic
reference to the poetry that is 'proper for a champion to use'?

Charles