Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: proverb in the Laws
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:07:52 -0800

Hi Stephen,

> Did you finding any entry for so-raindi in DIL, are you constructing
> it in a particular way (or is it a guess?).

I read it as equivalent to Modern Irish "soroinnte = divisible,
apportionalbe".  In Mod Ir. that construction can be synchronically
analyzed as "so/do + past particle of verb".  For example:

dodhéanta = impossible < déanamh
socheansaithe = docile, easily tamed < ceansaigh

> I'm assuming that cenco raibi is giving you "or not" but could I ask
> you to be a tad more explicit about that?

I read it as cen (without) + co + ro·boí

Dennis