Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: trove of proverbs
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:03:23 -0800

Liz wrote:

>>> 2.  "It ainmecha na cúite."
>
> There's a word in Dinneen:
>
> "cúite  f. memory, recollection; "interview"; i dtús mo chúite, in the
> beginning of my life (Donegal); is cúite liom, I remember"
>
>   But I cannot find the word in DIL or O'Dónaill.

That's intriguing, but probably not relevant to our sentence.

It occurs to me that there's a refer to "half-dry bread" later
in the text that supports the interpretation "The portions of
food are soggy".  After having been gifted a tract of land,
Guilide's daughter changes her tune entirely about offering
the hospitality of her father's house:

"Ni ba hed son dúib-si dobérthar aigedhacht na haidhchi-si isind
fescor i tancabair .i. [...] tigi lethnochta, aran lethtirim,
lestair lethlána, colpdai lethloma."

"This is not the sort of hospitality you'll get on the evening
you have come, that is [...] half-bare houses, half-dry bread,
half-full cups, half-made beds (?)."

Dennis