Re: a general specific question

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:53:51 -0800

Michele wrote:

> So when the purple clothing was made for her, it was a little
> fly/dragonfly dress?

Kinda like a chihuahua sweater, only smaller? ;-)

I guess you mean what's described here:

> Nó beir docom a
> thaige & a grianain co seinistrib soillsib fri teacht as & ind,
> & dobreth tlacht corcrai uimpi, & no himchuire in grianán sin
> lasin Mac Óg cach leth no theigedh.

= He (the Mac Óc) takes her to his house and to her "terrarium"
with luminous windows for going and coming; and a crimson
"tlacht" [= (a) cover; (b) ornament; (c) garment] was placed
around it; and that terrarium was carried around by the Mac
Óc everywhere he went.

The conjugated pronoun "uimpi" could correspond, I suppose,
either to OI "imbi" (around him/it) or "impe" (around her).
I take it mean the former (grianán is masc.): that the Mac Óc
put a scarlet "wrapper" around the terrarium, not around the
Étaín-fly.

Dennis