Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: summary hypersaline f/2 medium
From: Karin Rengefors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:37:27 +0100

Dear colleagues,

Thank you all for having contributed with suggestions on how to
increase the salinity of my f/2 medium. I am very thankful for your
time and effort.

Below is a summary of the suggestions I have received:

1. boiling/evaporating followed by quick cooling to preven t
precipitation (Lane)
2. use artificial seawater (Cox, Henley, FIetz, Cruz-Rivera,
Rothschild, Thompson, Ritchie) such as AS-100/Tropical Marine et c
and sterile-filter rather than autoclave
3. freeze-dry water (Zimba)
4. evaporate in drying oven (Beker)
5. use nearby saline lake water (Kling)
6. add NaCl to seawater (Robaina)
7. freeze-out freshwater (Steinke, Bisson)

Once again, thank you all! - Now to the lab...

sincerely,

Karin
Karin Rengefors, PhD
Associate Professor
Limnology, Dept. of Ecology
Ecology Building, Lund University
SE-22362 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46 46 222 8427, Fax:   +46 46 222 4536
Homepage: http://www.limnol.lu.se/index.asp