Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Help needed making herbarium specimens
From: Eugene Bozniak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:25:44 -0700

John et al.

As with your experience, it is with fresh specimens that the staining
occurs. Our pacific species of browns like
Desmarestia, Hedophyllum, Costaria, Cystoseira, and Macrocystis seem
notorious for staining while the
reds like Odonthalia and Rhodomela can give one heartburn.  I've taken
to semi-drying these somewhat before
pressing and this seems to help.  Of course your southern hemisphere
Splachnidium presents the biggest
challenge of all.  I had to sun dry my specimens for two days before
pressing.

I have also avoided using any open weave type cloth for fear that it
would leave permanent
indentations on the specimens.  Does this NOT happen?

Cheers,

Gene