Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Scuit
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:18:14 +0200

[log in to unmask] wrote:

>  I realise the derivation of Scuit from Latin is an accepted
>  one, but I find it dubious on the grounds that the word is often
>  defined as meaning "pirates" or "thieves" or the like. I can't
>  imagine any Celtic people accepting such a name for themselves.

Why not? The Irish accepted British (or rather Welsh) "gwyddel" "the
wild ones" for themselves, giving "goídel" in Irish. So I see no
reason why they should not accept "pirates, plunderers" as a name,
even more so as they engaged in activities of that sort in late
antiquity and the early middle ages.

What
>  about Proto-Celtic *skotto- (meaning "leader") as a possible source?

Where did you find that?

David