Subject: Re: Wool and the Celts
From: John Hooker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:08:49 -0600

Hi Jess,

For a start, it might be an idea to make a Celtic spindle whorl. I have
photos and diagrams of a lead one in my collection:

http://www.writer2001.com/vmus.htm

Click on image for an enlargement and follow the link in the description
for a detailed diagram.

I sent a cast and the diagram to the late E. M. Jope and his comments are
included in the details. He believes it originated in the Somerset area as
similar, but plain, whorls have been found at Glastonbury. The design is
two devolved Marnian running scrolls and I believe it is the only La Tene
decorated whorl to survive.

Cheers,

John

> Hiya folks,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows or wants to talk about wool in
> historic celtic cultures.  I do alot of work with wool as a hobby
> (felt it, spin it, crochet, etc) and have lately been feeling a pull
> to do something traditionally celtic, but not knowing much about it.
> Most of the stuff I do is felted wall hangings and rugs and I've made
> a world tree hanging, and an ogham rug.  These were satisfying and
> fun to do as well.  I love to learn and teach celtic history and kind
> of look forward to 'spreading the word' with some of my projects (ie:
> when someone says 'what's that?' I can enlighten them).  :)
>
> Anyhow.. just wondering y'alls thoughts.
>
> -Jess

John's home page:
http://www.writer2001.com
Celtic Improvisations (the on line book):
http://www.writer2001.com/improvisations.htm
Celtic Coin Index On Line:
http://www.writer2001.com/cciwriter2001/index.htm