Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Yet another inquiry on textbooks
From: Edwin Cruz-Rivera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:17:51 -0500

Dear Colleagues,
    I am developing a course in marine botany and I am looking for a current
and comprehensive textbook on the subject and a good laboratory manual.  I
have done a number of searches (including archived messages of Algae-L) and
it seems Dawes' Marine Botany is about it.  I am familiar with other more
specialized books like Lobban, Lee or Graham and Wilcox, but these are
focused on algae only.  I have also yet to find a laboratory manual for a
marine botany lab.  My concern is that algal taxonomy has changed a lot in
the past few years and I believe the most current edition of Dawes is from
1998...not too bad, but still a lot has happened since then.  On the other
hand, more updated Phycology texts do not cover seagrasses, mangroves or
cyanobacteria.  My question are 1) what textbook (or combination thereof) do
you recommend for general marine botany and 2) are there any laboratory
manuals for such a course?
Your comments are appreciated,

Edwin
Dr. Edwin Cruz-Rivera
Assist. Prof./Director, Marine Sciences Program
Department of Biology
Jackson State University
JSU Box18540
Jackson, MS 39217
Tel: (601) 979-3461
Fax: (601) 979-5853
Email: [log in to unmask]

"It is not the same to hear the devil as it is to see him coming your way"
(Puerto Rican proverb)