Subject: Re: Schema validation question
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Sep 2006 22:13:26 +0100

Keith R Wood wrote:
> I am validating an XML document against a schema. Here are two
> different error messages that I am getting when the validation fails:
>
> 1) cvc-datatype-valid.1.2.1: '' is not a valid value for 'float'.
>
> 2) vc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with
>    element 'MiddleInitial'. One of '{"":FirstName}' is expected.
>
> The second error message is very helpful because it gives me the name
> of the tag that is in error. The first error message is of little help
> because I don't know which tag has the problem.

Pretty silly, isn't it? Makes you wonder about the kind of person
who writes these error messages.

> Is there some way that I can make the validation process give me the
> name of the tag for the first type of error?

Probably not unless it's Open Source and you fancy reprogramming it
yourself. Just use a different parser.

I refuse to use a parser that doesn't give me the source file line
number, or the byte offset.

///Peter